Time has been flying especially fast lately over here a the pencil HQ, so I think it's high time for a little wrap-up on what's been going on this April:
- Our very talented Pencil Lady Meredith has returned to us for good after a hiatus spent in Detroit! Oh, how we missed her! You'll recognize her world from the pin sets, patches, postcards, stickers we have--90% of the illustrated things in our shop are Meredith's work!
- Did you know that the Crayola crayon color Dandelion is being discontinued (or retired as they like to call it)? We panicked and bought the biggest one we could find (2 lbs to be exact). We might be a pencil store, but who says we can't have a giant crayon? After all, it is technically Pencil Yellow.
- Alyx, our #1 Pencil Lady plant friend planted some new green things in the planter next to our shop stoop. This marks the 6th time we've put plants in that planter in the past two years. The first 5 times they were either sat on or stolen so last summer we picked plants ugly enough that no one would steal them and hearty enough that no one could crush them. Only time will tell if the new guys survive.
- Mental Floss paid us a visit! You may have seen this video circulating around Facebook recently:
- Caitlin and I recorded another episode of the Erasable Podcast with our pals Johnny, Tim and Andy. Listen to us babble about shop news, the Pencil Perfect and all the pencil things. I also did an episode about the Pen Addict (don't worry, it's mostly about pencils), which you can listen to here.
- A lovely customer visiting from Italy got us hooked on the dreamiest stationery shop in Milan called Fratelli Bonvini. Obviously none of us have been there (yet) but we've been majorly stalking it and drooling over the perfect shop interior. SERIOUS shop envy!
- If you're planning on visiting us sometime soon, check out our new favorite ice cream spot in the neighborhood called Soft Swerve. They serve up soft serve in odd flavors with lots of interesting toping options. I like the black sesame/matcha twist with toasted coconut and freeze dried strawberries.
- We were on the news! CBS paid us a visit to talk about how pencil sales have been rising in the past two years (thanks, guys!). We're told the segment played on 108 different cities across the country. Even better for this life-long Sunday Morning fan--Charles Osgood talked about it on the Osgood File!